Saturday, November 28, 2009

Weekly Reading Entry-The Wanderer


I am not terribly far into The Wanderer by Newbery Honor winning author Sharon Creech, also author of Walk Two Moons, but I already have an inference. The Wanderer is about thirteen-year-old Sophie, adopted at ten, who love the sea. While she keeps a journal on her sea trip to England with her three uncles and two cousins, so does one of her cousins, Cody. Cody wants to know what happened to Sophie's real parents, and his father and uncles won't tell him. When he wrote once in his journal, he said something that really struck me.
I am starting to think something else, too. I think Sophie's afraid of the water. It's just a feeling I have.
Then I began to think that maybe, if Cody was right about Sophie being afraid of the water, that the death of her real parents had something to do with the ocean or water, like they drowned or something.
Cody's father, to Sophie "Uncle Mo", is really mean to Cody and his mother. Cody also says in his journal that he sometimes wishes he was an orphan because his father's a "big crab" and "my mother is afraid of him and always hiding in the corner looking pitiful."
Sophie talks and tells stories about her grandfather, "Bompie", a lot, which shows she really loves him. And the reason she and her uncles and cousins are going to England is to see him. I just hope that the ending to The Wanderer isn't as sad as the ending to Walk Two Moons.

1 comment:

  1. let me know when you finish it so that we can talk about the ending! interesting inference!!

    ReplyDelete