Thursday, February 3, 2011

The Astonishing Life Of Octavian Nothing


Some books are happy.
Some books are sad.
Some tell good stories,
some tell very bad.
Yesterday, I started The Astonishing Life Of Octavian Nothing Volume I - The Pox Party. I already have much to say about it, even though I'm less than a hundred pages into the book. "There is no refreshment more gratifying to the soul than the sight of Nature in her summer finery, before the heat is at its most intense. She is soothing, but not soporific; intoxicating without inebriation." I love how in this paragraph, "nature" is capitalized so it is not in fact "nature", but "Nature." As if She (notice the capital...) were a God, referred to sometimes as "He".
Reading this book has made me want to paint. I have so many beautiful ideas to paint from this book, for example, Octavian's mother, Cassiopeia. She's an African princess of the Empire of Oyo, the Egba people. Apparently, when she lived in Africa, before he palace burnt down, it was covered with flowers and had many gardens, and that the palace so close to the ocean that a breeze would waft the salty scent through it. I can completely imagine the bronze princess gazing out at the sea with vines all over the window with flowers booming from vein-like ivy. This is only one of the many beautiful visions I have so far.
I also love his mother's name, Cassiopeia, because it's my favorite band's fan-club name! (Laughter) I haven't much time, I'm sure to write more on this wonderful next week!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment