Wednesday, February 9, 2011

The Astonishing Life of Octavian Nothing [ SPOILER ALERT ]


Recently in The Astonishing Life of Octavian Nothing I have been thinking about the title. Octavian is a slave living in Boston. Although the setting is up north and Octavian and his mother are treated well, they are still considered "slaves" because they are "slaves who may be bought and sold at anytime". This made me think how slaves didn't have last names, or they took the last name of their owner. Perhaps that's why the title is "Octavian Nothing" Get it? :D Well, that's what I've decided to infer.
Also, in this book, they are quite religious. They often mention God, and they are Catholic.

I find it interesting that the owners (there are many living in one building) call themselves by numbers. I'm going to make a quick, small inference that they are bad guys. By this, I mean that they aren't allowed to own slaves but they are anyway and use secret codes so nobody knows where they are. Something like that. Then again, this sets in the late - ish 1770's, so maybe it is still legal in the north...? But I still like my amazing idea better. Because they're evil. So ha.

No comments:

Post a Comment