Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Ashes


Recently I've been reading Ashes by Kathryn Lasky. Although it's by this author who has won awards for her writing, I am a bit disappointed with this book. The plot is fine, but so far it's a bit slow, and the wording isn't exactly grade level. This seems a bit more like a 6th grade book instead.

Guess whaaaattttt?? I'm reading yet another book about World War II. Apparently, I'm not completely evil yet. (Or I am...) I enjoy reading historical fiction a lot. Maybe this is because it will help me in school? I think I also just enjoy learning about stuff that happened, because often I am way behind and people expect me to know what they know even if I just never knew... Does that make sense??

I think that it's interesting how the author incorporates the German ways of saying some of the words. Unfortunately, unlike some other books, this one doesn't have the translations in the back. I wonder if some of these references are even what people actually called the Nazis, though. For example, Gabby (the main character) calls the Nazis "Brown Shirts" because they wore, well, brown shirts and khaki pants. Apparently, many men grew Hitler's mustache, the "toothbrush mustache" as well. I can't believe people actually agreed with the terrible things he said, maybe they just didn't want to be killed or become famous or something...

2 comments:

  1. And just like me, I have before read 7 consecutive books about WWII and the holocaust! O_o
    True with your last sentence. I agree with what you said. Do they really want to wait for their deaths? hmmmm...
    Wait, why did you hate this book? is there something that you are against?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't HATE this book, I just feel like it's written poorly. I love almost any book, so when I dislike one, I just feel like it's... bleh...

    ReplyDelete