Wednesday, March 16, 2011

A Bad Thing Called _____ (SPOILER ALERT... I THINK...)


Recently, I have been reading Go Ask Alice. (Ugghhh I say "recently" to start off my blog posts waaayyyy too often. If anyone has a suggestion, tell meeeeeeee :D ) Ahem, anyway... No, I haven't finished Ashes yet, but since I'm a terrible person and was so excited to read Go Ask Alice when I saw it in Barnes and Noble, I had to. So I've given up on Ashes until I finish Go Ask Alice (Likely going to finish tomorrow during project REAL.)

Enough random rambling on about how I read books. Go Ask Alice is the diary a girl renamed Alice (to keep her identity) who becomes a bit of an addict. Not an addict as in too much of a food or watching T.V too much, but as one of those bad addictions. Like, really bad addictions. The ones that get you into so much trouble and is just one of those bad, bad things. *sounding ridiculous but repeating things over and over are fun, especially since people -sometimes- start to listen to you*. Yes, I mean the drug addiction.

To sum it up, Alice becomes addicted to drugs after a party, where her soda was tainted with an LSD. Before then, she was always writing about God and a little hostility towards her siblings (let's admit it, we all hate our siblings even if we love them...). Afterwards, she was constantly writing things like "torpedos on Friday and Speed on Sunday", "going to trip on acid" and "I can't wait to try pot!" At first I was thinking "Eeeehhhhhhhhh, I thought torpedos were those things that blow up ships like in that cheesy Batman Movie with Adam West..." and "Being high is good? WHAT?" Then she goes on about how she has to STOP taking drugs and she basically stops and starts again, back and forth back and forth.

"After you've had it, there isn't even life without drugs...."

I got really scared when I read this, and the effects from drunk guys yelling outside the house and rain didn't exactly help calm myself either. This line reminded me of gangs and this show called The Mentalist (I love that show heheheh). One of the FBI agents was a former gang member and his friend was killed. This was because he was trying to get OUT of his gang.

Also, in Fruits Basket, Arisa Uotani was a known as a delinquent. She met Tohru Honda, a very kind, polite girl, and she really wanted to change and be a great friend. When she tried to leave her gang though, they basically tried to kill her until Tohru's mother came along and fought them off. How could a kind, tender, loving housewife fight off some juvenile delinquents? She used to be in a gang, known as "The Red Butterfly". This supports my idea that people CAN change. Even though it's fiction, it really stands out.

I want to see what happens to Alice, since something very table-turning just happened (my way of words isn't that great...) and I think she might die, but I guess I'll have to keep reading... then go back to boring old Ashes...

3 comments:

  1. Hola reed your post was really good and interesting for several reasons. I thought it was cool that you compared and contrasted the quot that you put in to the other books you had read before. its very cool how there could be a similar moment or small theme in several books from different genres. Its like all the authors go to a secrete meeting and talk about this stuff. Also it also scares me that one little accident could let her fall so far and land on her butt. Finally please finish your other book !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. REED! Well, I read this book just 2 weeks agoI think and yeah, I got scared reading that part too, it's like someone saying it to you. I also like how you relate two books, Go Ask Alice and Fruit Basket because yes, people change and Alice actually does change! YAY!

    Mmmmm, the ending, your prediction....mmmmm, did you spoil the book for yourself already? This book is AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I found out what happened... It was rather surprising... Hmmm...
    And Saige, I just finished the other book today! Heheheh... But now I don't have anything to read... except some books I never read... I guess I could read those... XD

    ReplyDelete